CTA is a member of QuébecInnove, a network of specialized ressources recognized by the Government of Quebec supporting Innovation and R&D projects and allowing access to financial ressources through the Programme Innovation.
This program allows businesses, primarily SME, to access financial support, specialized ressources in R&D and equipment to fulfill their innovation projects as well as the commercialisation of these projects.
Neighboring Université de Sherbrooke, CTA comprises many assets offering a large autonomy in product development and vehicle engineering :
- Total area of 2650 m²
- 1110 m² of laboratory and workshops
- Data acquisition and mechanical testing laboratories
- Vehicle electrification laboratories
- Vehicle assembly and machining shops
- Engine and transmission dynamometer test cells
Design and engineering
CTA offers product development services using automotive level engineering practices and tools.
- Complete numerical mockups and 3D design using Catia V5 or V6.
- Geometric tolerancing and detailed 2D drawings.
- Design of complex products including integration of mechanical and electric components.
Electric and electronic design
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) and control unit design using Altium Designer, Mentor PADS and Catia V5 or V6.
- Design of power electronics units.
- Sensor, actuator and motor selection and sizing.
- Electric diagram and electrical wiring design and prototyping.
CTA’s product design relies on a team of experienced simulation engineers using state-of-the-art tools and methodologies to simulate the physics of your application. Their knowledge is backed by experience in laboratory and field testing, data analysis and model correlations acquired in the course of their projects.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Heat Transfer Simulation
- Steady state and transient flow visualisation
- Heat exchange prediction.
- Soiling and particle movement prediction.
- Pressure losses and fluid speed profile studies in closed conduits.
- Fluid pressure distribution on wetted surfaces.
- Multi-fluid and multi-phases analysis capabilities.
- Drag, lift and turbulence predictions.
Structural analysis (FEA)
- Non-linear analysis (large displacements, multi-part assemblies, non-linear material properties).
- Impact resistance and deformation mode analysis.
- Thermal stress analysis.
- Fatigue life estimation.
- Stress prediction under vibratory loads.
- Topologic and parametric optimisation of structures.
- Multi-physics optimization.
Multi Body Dynamics (MBD)
- Cinematic and dynamic study of mechanisms (trajectory, speed and acceleration studies).
- Prediction of internal forces generated in a moving mechanism.
- Vehicle and mechanism stability prediction.
Ageing and thermal modeling of batteries
In line with CTA’s Electrification field of expertise, the Simulation engineering team has developped the knowledge to support custom battery designs fitting your application. Combining individual cell caracterization in laboratory, 1D modeling and 3D heat transfer, CTA can predict the electrical and thermal performance of individual cells as well as complete battery packs in their final environent.
- Aerodynamic drag reduction for a class 8 electric truck
- Temperature distribution protection in the engine compartment of a vehicle
- Wind protection optimisation for the riders of recreational vehicle
- Certification prediction
- Topologic optimization of a suspension component
- Mechanical resistance and energy absorbtion simulation
- Suspension internal forces prediction
virtual reality (vr)
Virtual reality (VR) simulates an environment in three dimensions to visualize objects and / or have certain tasks performed by the environment or its user.
CTA specializes in 2 types of virtual reality projects, namely:
- Product visualization and technical staff training projects. The result allows a better understanding of systems and product functions.
- Immersive driving simulation. These projects combine VR with articulated physical simulators on which users are seated or standing. They thus receive a multitude of sensory stimuli which allow an almost total simulation.
- Complete interactive virtual reconstruction of the Rotax 903 turbo engine from BRP for training purposes.
- Assembly experience of a Rotax engine in the form of a timed competition.
- Complete interactive virtual reconstruction for the launch of BRP’s Can-Am Ryker with interactive and voice activated exploded views.
- Immersive driving simulator of a Ski-Doo 850 Turbo snowmobile.
Fabrication and prototyping
Machining and prototype assembly shops, printed circuit board prototyping capabilities and a complete sub-contracting network to fabricate and assemble custom and unique prototypes…or complete vehicles. An assembly shop and data acquisition laboratory to allow rapid testing and modifications on systems under development as well as on test vehicles. CTA’s ressources are abundant to transform your ideas in functional prototypes.
validation and testing
CTA customers can count on a large array of testing equipment and instrumentation as well as the engineering expertise necessary to design and execute elaborate test plans. The testing team will be able to guide you in your custom testing needs as well as industry standard testing.
MTS 852-50 test system
- High load, high speed cycling and shock absorber caracterization machine.
- Dynamic caracterization of elastic mounting elements (rubber mounts).
- Static and fatigue mechanical testing.
- Maximum actuator speed: 10 m/s.
- Shock absorber dimensions: 1575 mm maximum / 180 mm minimum.
- Maximum load: 67 kN.
- Actuator stroke: 250 mm.
MTS Servo Hydraulic test bench
- Static and fatigue cycling tests.
- Allows up to three simultaneous actuators.
- Linear actuator capacity: up to 50 kN.
- Actuator stroke: 300 mm.
- Rotary actuator capacity: 5650 N-m.
- Rotary actuator stroke: 100°.
- Static uniaxial testing.
- Capacity: 100 kN.
- Extensometers stroke: standard 50 mm, short stroke 2.5 mm and Epsilon 4013 for adhesive caracterization.
- Temperature conditioning room capacity: -80°C à +280°C.
Large scale testing
CTA can take responsibility of large scale engineering tests from design to completion using our network of partners having unique testing facilities:
- Ultimate mechanical resistance testing of large structures.
- Fatigue cycling on large structures.
- Wind tunnel testing.
- Vibration tests.
- On vehicle data acquisition, on road or closed course.
- Impact testing on structures and components.
- Data acquisition during testing events.
- Capacity: up to 100 kJ.
Sakor transmission dynamometer
- Endurance testing on transmission components.
- Noise measurement on transmission components.
- Electric motor caracterization.
- Output motor caracteristics:
- Capacity: 130 kW
- Max. torque: 827 N-m
- Max. torque range: 0 – 1500 rpm.
- Max. speed: 6500 rpm.
- Max. torque @ max. speed: 191 N-m.
- Input motor caracteristics:
- Capacity: 130 kW.
- Max. torque: 248 N-m.
- Max. torque range: 0 – 5000 rpm.
- Max. speed: 7800 rpm.
- Max. torque @ max. speed: 159 N-m.
Borghi & Savari engine dynamometer
- Power caracterization for internal combustion engines.
- Endurance testing on transmission components.
- Capacity: 194 kW.
Thermotron SE-600 climate chamber
- Test sample temperature conditioning.
- Electric and electronic testing under controled humidity and temperature conditions.
- Volume: 586 l.
- Temperature range: -70°C to +180°C.
- No load cooling rate: +180 to -65°C in 50 min.
- No load heating range: -65 to 180°C in 37 min.
- Humidity: 0 to 100%.
LMS Scadas Mobile SCM05 et SCM01 noise and vibration data acquisition
- Noise and vibration measurements.
- Noise and vibration source identification and diagnostics.
- Deformation measurements of vibrating components (using laser vibrometers).
- Dynamic caracterization of isolation mounting systems (rubber mounts).
- Identification and ranking of noise and vibration sources.
- Sound quality engineering.
- LMS Q source dynamic shaker.
- Available sensors: accelerometers, microphones, binaural microphones, force sensors.
Polytec RLV5500 and PVD 100 laser vibrometers
- Displacement measurement of vibrating components in operation.
- Torsional vibration measurements on rotating components in operation.
- Data acquisition and processing through LMS equipment.
- Identification of natural vibration frequencies.
RDI Technologies motion amplification system
- Identification of vibration sources.
- Visualisation of vibratory movement through amplification.
- Identification of natural vibration frequencies.
- RDI Technologies.
- HMB eDAQ and SOMAT data acquisition systems.
- On-board, robust data acquisition system that can be exposed to the environment.
- 32 channels.
- Sampling rate: 100 000 Hz.
- Analogic 16 bit input/output channels.
- Compatible with a wide array of sensors (displacement, speed, acceleration temperature, current, voltage, pressure, CAN bus, GPS, strain gauges, flow meter and more).
AOS technologies high speed camera
- Robust construction, can be installed onboard test vehicles.
- Maximum resolution: 1280 x 1024 pixels.
- Maximum frame rate: 100 000 fps.
- AOS Technologies
FLIR 620 Thermal camera
- Resolution: 640 x 480 pixels.
- Sensitivity: less than 40 mK.
- Temperature range: -40°C to 500°C.
Dantec Dynamics micro displacement camera
- Material caracterization testing.
- Micro displacement measurements for FEA model correlations.
- High speed deformation measurements.
- Vibration measurements.
- Dantec Dynamics Q400
powertrain electrification testing
- Arbin LBT-2000 equipped with 48 channels of ±10A used for cycling and caracterisationof lithium-ion cells and other chemestries .
- Gamry Interface 5000E equipment to measure the spectral impedence of battery cells.
- BK programmable sources and active loads.
- Climate chambers controling temperatures between 5°C and 60°C for cell ageing tests.
- AeroVironment AV900 load and power supply for battery and electric motor testing of up to 250kW.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT CTA
The CTA has chosen to invest in the future of mobility by equipping itself with expertise and tools to make driving lighter, quieter, safer and easier.
Through research and advanced engineering, we elevate our expertise so that technology drives your success.